If you sustain injuries due to negligence or other factors, you may have a case worth pursuing. In your quest to defend your rights, you may also be eligible to receive compensation for lost wages, medical bills, emotional distress, and other damages.

Taking Legal Action

When contemplating your next steps, you need to consider the four-year statute of limitations on personal injury cases in Florida imposed by FL § 95.11. If you want to file a lawsuit, you must do so within this timeframe. Depending on the nature of your case, your lawyer will let you know if you are eligible for an extension.

Determining Liability

If you are wondering, can you sue someone if you are injured on their property in Florida, it’s important to remember that there are specific laws regarding such liability. Your lawyer’s first order of business will be to determine the ownership and type of property on which you were injured. The laws regarding liability depend on whether the accident occurred on public property such as a recreational ground, or private property, such as someone’s home.

While the type of property may impact the case (as laws like FL § 768.075 dictate), no one is exempt from providing a hazard-free environment for guests.

Many Factors Can Cause Injuries

Personal injuries that occur on public or private property are often a result of negligence. There are other factors, as well, including:

  • Inadequate adherence to building regulations
  • Wet floors
  • Defective elevators
  • Uneven stairs
  • Poorly designed or maintained parking lots
  • Poorly maintained sidewalks
  • Drowning
  • Poorly lit staircases
  • Electrocution
  • Dog bites
  • Loose and ill-placed objects
  • Hazardous materials

Other dangerous conditions may occur which could entitle you to compensation.

Steps to Take After Getting Injured on Someone’s Property

When you sustain injuries on someone else’s property, we recommend that you seek medical attention immediately. Obtaining medical records may help to connect your injuries to the case. You may want to take the following steps:

  • Call the police and file an accident report
  • Take pictures of the area and what caused the accident
  • Report the accident to the person in charge and ask for a copy of the report
  • Preserve your clothes and footwear
  • Obtain the contact information of witnesses and bystanders
  • Hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you

Our team can offer you guidance on any other actions you may be able to take to strengthen your case.

Call Montero Law Center Today

Did you or a loved one sustain injuries on someone’s property? Are you interested in exploring your legal options? If you are inquiring if you can sue someone if you are injured on their property in Florida, you should hire Montero Law Center. We are a personal injury and criminal defense law firm rooted in the old-fashioned values of faith, family, and hard work. When you seek our legal services, we will work hard to defend your rights and help you pursue the compensation you deserve.

Call us today at (954) 767-6500 to discuss your case with a member of our team.